Friday, March 23, 2012

Who Says Newspapers are Dying?

As you all know I do work for a newspaper...yes, I said it.. "a newspaper." Now, most of you are thinking this girl is crazy..She works for a newspaper, well she will be out of job in 10 5 years. Well rest assured that is NOT the case. There is still a lot of life left in the print product. Maybe not for world-wide news, but who else is going to effectively distribute local news. I don't think CNN, ESPN, Google, and any other Internet site (besides a newspaper site) is going to publish pictures of local student sporting events, local city politics, etc. This local news is what people still want.

I could go on and on with the reasons why newspapers are still very viable, but I will spare you all of that. I said all that to say I spent the last half of this week in Austin at the Texas Circulation Management Association annual conference (TCMA). I work for the Standard-Times which is a Scripps newspaper, so my counterparts from Corpus, Wichita Falls, and Abilene were there as well as other Circulation folks from across the great state of Texas. It's nice to see and talk face-to-face with people that actually understand and are excited about what you do.

It was 3 days of mental hard but fun work. I now have a laundry list of things to do that I wasn't doing before..40-50 hour weeks will probably be non-existent for me for the rest of the year my career. HA!

My Publisher also nominated me for the 2nd Vice President position on the TCMA board, so I'm quite excited to be on that now and participating as a board member for the next 5 years.

That's about it..I haven't blogged in awhile, so I just wanted to catch up on what has been going on in my world.

I'll leave you with these parting words from Jimmy Breslin, a Journalist in the 1930s

"A job on a newspaper is a special thing. Every day you take something that you found out about, and you put it down, and in a matter of hours it become a product. Not just a product like a can or something."

So true...everyday the company I work for starts out with a clean slate and reinvents their product. EVERYDAY..how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment