Sunday, March 4, 2012

Our Weekend With Kyle

After sitting in front of my computer for what seems like forever (5 mins) I can't find a good way to start out this blog, so I'll just jump right in.

Fortunately, I've always been one of those people who didn't know anyone that was serving in the military and by anyone I mean family and friends. It has never been a reality for me and I can honestly say I've never completely valued the sacrifice these men and women make. However, Brandon's brother, Kyle, will be leaving for Afghanistan this month and as much as you try to put it out of your mind, it is a hard thing not knowing if you will ever see him again and you really begin to value what is being given up - the sacrifice that is made. Kyle is a Navy Corpsman, and I can't tell you all what that entails except that he is a medic - essentially he is assigned to a "group" (I think the proper term is Unit, but not sure) of Marines to take care of them. This has pretty much been all Kyle has ever wanted to do and for the most part he lacks what most of us call fear and has an extraordinary protection instinct. Knowing that this is what he has been called to do helps us to rest a little easier.

So our weekend with Kyle was perfect. The boys drank, laughed, made fun of each other, shot guns, and ate...a lot (to all the above). Normally I would be telling Brandon, this is your last beer, or don't eat that, or don't say that (I promise I'm not that nagging, all the time), but how can you tell your husband to stop enjoying spending time with his brother. I halfway expected them to get into a wrestling match right there on the floor like typical boys, but Brandon being as smart as he is probably knew he wouldn't have stood a chance.

Michelle cooked up a storm. Friday night it was steak, potatoes, and all the fixin's, and red velvet cake. Breakfast Saturday was omelets, bacon, 2 kinds of sausage, and bagels. For lunch/supper we had Michelle's famous (well I think it's famous) Gumbo and chocolate chip pie. After this Kyle said "no more food mom."

Here are some pics from our weekend:
 Kyle, while we were out shooting...
 The boys enjoying licking the beaters from Michelle's chocolate chip pie
Brandon acting innocent...like I didn't catch him licking the spatula..

 We couldn't have asked for a better weekend..If Brandon and I ever cross your mind, say a quick prayer for Kyle. He is sacrificing more than we could ever understand, but then again that's just who Kyle is. 

1 comment:

  1. Wayne's brother has served three tours in Afganistan, and will be ending his career with the military this November so I know exactly what you are going through and if you ever need anyone to talk to I am here girl :(

    ReplyDelete