Monday, March 12, 2012

Roundin' Up The Snakes

Well as most of you know Brandon and I are from a tiny town in west Texas called Sweetwater. Most days we don't even claim this, but there are the rare occasions that the "oh yeah, we are from Sweetwater..you know where the World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup is," conversation happens. It's like we use the "Roundup" as some grand, magical, defining event for Sweetwater. 

Having grown up there and lived there for 12 years this was only the 2nd "Roundup" that I can remember attending. Let me just say it was less than impressive. The one time I went when I was little I remember seeing piles and piles of snakes in the coliseum and the smell is something you never forget. This year I think Brandon told me they only rounded up 1,500 lbs when usually they round up 6,000 - 7,000 lbs a year. Seems like our experiences with snake hunting this year (we only caught 4 total) was not just our location. I think the recent fires had a lot to do with the turnout this year.

Here's a recap of our Saturday:

1) Britni gets up and runs 4 miles at 7:30 - gets chased by dogs and rained on
2) Jared and Tanya meet up with us and we venture to the coliseum
3) Find good parking spot
4) Decide to ride bus because it is running - takes longer than if we had just walked to the door
5) Paid $16 a couple to get into the colisuem
6) Saw Aaron Watson look-a-like, maybe 10 snakes, and a lot of rednecks (World's Largest Redneck Roundup)
7) Go outside to eat extremely unhealthy food
8) We order...they give our order to someone else..finally we get our food
***it's been raining this whole time***
9)  Walk to car..feeling guilty about eating bad food...feeling guilty about spending $16 to see basically nothing
10) Nap time
11) Dinner with the Monday's at Lumberyard...waited an hour for our food
12) Went to dance..got asked by some guy if I wanted to dance, with Brandon sitting right next to me..awkward
13) I consumed zero alcohol - so I drove home

Needless to say in the words of Jared Monday "we will be good for another five years."

The "Roundup" didn't quite live up to our expectations but we tried to make the most of it as indicated by the pictures below..

Miss Snakcharmer
 Getting all the meat out
 Tanya with her giant corn dog
 Brandon calling me out for taking such classy photo of him
Hope everyone has a fantastic week!!

P.S. we put an offer on a house this morning so I'll keep y'all updated as soon as we hear something! 

1 comment:

  1. This post made me happy we didn't come home for the magical "roundup weekend". Not that we had even thought about it, but I was complaining to Garrett how I wished we were home. At least you got to hang out with Tanya and Jared!

    Can't wait to hear about the house!

    ReplyDelete