Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sicilian Nachos and French Apple Cake

This blog will not have any pictures, just be prepared. While the names of the these two foods sound absolutely wonderful, the looks of them not so much. Even though I love to cook and bake I have found that living in a small apartment with an even smaller kitchen isn't very motivating to cook. That coupled with the fact that I cannot use any of my wonderful Calphalon pots and pans, new dishes, and new bake ware that we received as wedding presents doesn't help. However, lately I have been in this mood where I have wanted to cook and bake something everyday. And just to put everyone's mind at ease no, I'm not nesting or some nonsense like that.

Okay, I have digressed, back on to the Sicilian Nachos. I found the recipe in my monthly Taste of Home magazine. Looked amazing in the picture and I couldn't pass it up. The word "nachos" was a tad bit misleading due to the fact that the "chip" part of it was actually French Baguette, which quickly got soggy when you pour the topping on it. The topping consisting of ground beef, carrots, garlic, red pepper, red onion, bay leaves, and basil. In my sweet husband's word "tastes like spaghetti." Indeed it did...Sicilian Nachos = fail.

The French Apple Cake as well looked delicious in the picture..not so much in the real. I misread the instructions and put all the cream cheese in the cake part of it and didn't save any for the topping, the caramel hardened too quickly, and when I popped it out of the spring foam (which Brandon said was broke when I popped the bottom out of it) the apples came off. Adding the extra cream cheese was really a blessing, it was like an apple cheesecake. Next time I make it, I will post pictures and give recipe with my new version minus the caramel add the extra cream cheese. On a side the note the coffee I made in our french press was wonderful.

I would say the best part of the supper was the 6 pack of Craft Beer I picked up at HEB and the Starbucks coffee with dessert.

Tomorrow night = leftover "spaghetti" sauce and apple cheesecake with caramel scraped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment