Sunday, September 25, 2011

Shabby Frame? Shabby-Chic Tray!

I'm finally getting around to completing all my projects that are scattered about my apartment, maybe by this time next month they will all be done. I've sworn I'm not going to go thrifting or come up with any new projects until I get the ones that are piling up done and our apartment is decorated for Fall.

For today's project I turned an old picture frame into a tray that will sit on our coffee table. It looks like someone already had this idea with it because it already has these old handles attached to it and little pads on the back that elevate it off the table. However, it wasn't fabulous looking and needed some TLC. 

Tools Needed:
1 old picture frame
2 handles of choice
Paint
Mosaic Tiles
Mosaic Glue
Ribbon
Scrapbook Tacs

1. Start with old picture frame of choice and remove the glass where all that is left is just the frame part

2. Paint the frame any color you like - I choose Martha Stewart's "Cloud" for the frame part and a pearl color for the backing. You'll have to excuse the old "Twister" towel; it is the only old one I could find.


3. Once the paint dries use wood glue to attach the board that came with the frame to the back of the frame minus the glass. You can keep the glass for another project or toss it out like I did to keep myself from dreaming up something else. 
4. Attaching the mosaic tiles is simple and quick to do and add a wonderful touch to an otherwise plain tray. Simply spread the mosaic tile glue where you want to stick the tiles and then stick the tiles on. They dry super quickly and you don't have to wait forever for them to adhere, so make sure you get them where you want them on the first try. 
5. While I was waiting on the paint to try I discovered that ric-rac makes awesome flowers due to their shape. I just rolled the ric-rac and they turned out great! Instead of using somewhat costly buttons I found scrapbook pins that came in a pack of 20 for $2.99. I used one of them for the center of one of the flowers.
6. Next, I simply attached the flowers to the tray and ta-da it is ready to go. 



It now sits on our new coffee table. I'm not sure if we will actually ever use it as a tray, but it was fun to make and I love the colors. I even considered getting some magnetic spray paint, hanging it on the wall, and using it as a memo board. for notes, recipes, lists, etc. 

Have a great Sunday evening everyone!!!

1 comment: